Using a Custom URL
Learn how to setup custom domain to work with your Oily.Life site. If you haven't setup your oily.life website, click here to do that first - the domain is added later.
On This Page
If you have the Estate package, you can use a custom URL with your Essential Oily Life website like: http://mycustomoilysite.com/ . We can help you transfer your current domain, or you can purchase a new one right here.
- If you have the Sprout or Garden package, click here to learn how to upgrade your package.
Purchasing a new domain
We're setup as a Godaddy.com domain reseller to make it easier for us to provide support for our customers using custom domains with their websites. You OWN your domains that are registered through us, and can transfer them at anytime.
- Click here to purchase a new domain
- Having trouble finding a domain you like? Checkout this awesome search tool: https://www.namemesh.com/ - use the link in step 1 to purchase once you've found a name you like.
- Setup Email (optional) - Learn about email options through Godaddy, or through Google - both options we'll help get your going asap.
After purchasing the domain or any email plans, Contact Support and let us know what the domain is. We'll complete any necessary setup or give you further instructions.
Using your current domain
If your domain is already registered with godaddy.com checkout this support document instead.
We're setup as a Godaddy.com domain reseller to make it easier for us to provide support for our customers using custom domains with their websites. It's not required that you register a domain with us, but we're not able to offer detailed support for other domain registrars. You OWN your domains that are registered through us, and can transfer them at anytime. If you already own a domain, and choose not to transfer it, we cannot offer support in setting up a custom email address.
Option 1 - Change Your Name Servers
This is the best option if: You want the easiest way to get your domain working with your oily.life site. If you don't yet have a domain email (eg firstname.lastname@example.org), and you want us to help, this is the best option.
This is a bad option if: You already have a custom email setup, or you have any other custom DNS settings using subdomains etc. - If you want to be able to control your DNS Then choose Option 2
Login to your domain registrar, search for a help document on "set custom nameservers" or "update nameservers"
Set the following Name Servers:
After you've made the changes, contact support and let us know what the domain is. We'll complete the final setup steps.
Option 2 - Change your own DNS Settings
This is best if you're familiar with managing DNS settings, or if you're comfortable following technical tutorials. Changes happen much quicker, but you're responsible for setting up your own mail server records if you want to use a custom email address.
- Modify the current A record, or create a new one if it doesn't exist. The A record Host or Name should be the @ symbol. Points to our IP which is: 188.8.131.52 -- default ttl is fine. Make sure there is only one A record.
- Create a WWW cname or alias record. If there is already a www record, it's typically best just to leave it. If there isn't one, try the following (only use one method. try in order until you don't get an error trying to save the record)
- www Cname target: @
- www Cname target: 184.108.40.206
- www Cname target: yourcusomdomain.com
If you've made the changes correctly, your domain will resolve to the oily.life homepage, contact support and let us know what your domain is. We'll complete the final setup steps to connect it to your site.
Option 3 - Transfer your domain to our account
This is best if you're using an "offbrand" domain registration, or if you're trying to close out an account with a different reseller/ host. We are godaddy resellers, which means you still own your domain, but the settings come pre-set to work easily with oily.life sites.
- To transfer a domain to our godaddy.com reseller account, click here and then select "Transfer Domains" from the dropdown. Purchase a transfer, and then follow the instructions provided. Transferring can take several days depending on the registrar - if you have email connected to your domain, it will be interrupted during transfer so plan accordingly. Contact us for support along the way.
- If you already have a domain registered with Godaddy.com, click here for a tutorial on how to set it up to work with your website
- If you have a domain registered with someone else you can use it with your Estate Package website by creating an A record that points to 220.127.116.11 - If you don't know how to do that, we recommend transferring your domain so we can better provide support.
After the transfer is complete
After transferring a domain to our registrar account you may need to manually set the nameservers.
- Head over to http://domains.oily.life
- Click the login button
- Click the word "manage" your domains
- Click the little gear icon next the domain you want to manage and then click "Manage DNS"
- Next to "Nameservers" click "change"
- Select "hosting" from the drop down - this will automatically add the correct nameservers to work with an Oily.Life website
- Save your changes
- Contact Support, and we'll get your domain connected to your oily.life website!