Contact Manager (CRM) | Email Marketing
On This Page
- Quick Start Guide - Sending Newsletter
- Lead Capture and Public Signup Forms
- Viewing & Editing Contacts
- Importing / Syncing Contacts
- Opting-In Email Contacts
- Enabling SMS (Text Messaging)
- Sending Email / SMS Messages
- Using and Editing Templates
- Sending & Editing Autseries ( Drip Campaigns )
- Acceptable Use / Email Submission Policy
Our CRM (contact manager) has the powerful tools that you'd get with other CRM's with the added bonus of having a bunch of pre-built content ready to for you! We even create a monthly newsletter that you can send out via email or text message.
Know what's cool?? Even if you don't have the ability or time to use this feature, just by sharing your website link you'll get the benefits of our pre-built content. Read the first section about our Built in Lead Capture and signup forms... then share your link, sit back, and let us do the work for you.
Quick Start Guide for Newsletter
For USA and Canadian member we create a newsletter that can be sent out via email or sms. The rest of this tutorial is full of helpful info, but here are the bullet points to send the newsletter
Preparing and Importing Contacts (once a month)
- Run a CSV export from virtual office. Include only contacts you plan on messaging at some point (personally enrolled or legs you manage). Include all data checkboxes YL provides
- Optionally open the CSV and remove any middle names ( Leave Mary Jo Johnson... remove James from Robert James Johnson )
- From Dashboard go CRM -> Contacts Choose Import contacts
- If you want to send SMS, enable SMS if you haven't yet
- For email, if this is your first import or you have new contacts, opt-in your contacts
Sending the Message
- Go to CRM -> Contacts and up above the list choose "create message"
- If you want to send via email choose the "All Subscribed (Email)" list. If you want to send via SMS choose the "All Subscribed (SMS or Email) - best for priority messages" list.
- Under Templates choose "monthly newsletter" and click Next
- On the next screen you'll choose either Email or the Advanced Messaging Option, and then the "SMS-Priority" sending method
- Give your message a title at the top, and customize the message below.
- Click "next" to view summary and then Send!
Built In Lead Capture & Signup Forms
All membership levels have contact forms, but on Garden + sites there is also a timed popup "lead capture" form. You can see this popup on your site by opening up a private browsing window (click your browsers menu in the upper right, and choose incognito). Then visit your site and you'll see the popup after ~30 seconds or when exiting.
The Lead Capture Popup:
- Adds contacts to your contact list
- Starts people on the "Curious about Essential Oils series" with automatic followup information.
- Gives them access to a really pretty YL 101 Ebook personalized with your information.
All other contact forms automatically add people into your contact list as well. With the Estate package you can add your own contact forms to custom pages to create your own custom lead capture pages
Public Signup Forms:
- From your site homepage hover over "contact" and then choose "join my email list"
- You can share this page on facebook, send it via project broadcast or even through a bulk message from virtual office
Take Action: From your site homepage hover over Contact and Select Email SIgnup. Share this page today.
Viewing & Editing Contacts
To view your contacts, login to your site dashboard and in the left hand admin menu hover on CRM then choose "Contacts". Simply click on a contact to send them a message, view details etc. Click a contact and then "edit" to see a full view of the contacts info and add notes.
bulk edit some contact details, like tags, by selecting contacts and then choosing "edit" + apply from the bulk actions drop down to the upper left of the contact list
Adding & Importing Contacts
Single contact: simply go to your site dashboard,hover over CRM -> Quick Add Contact
Prep your Data for Importing
Start by prepping your CSV. If using an Export from Virtual Office or Oily Tools, export all available data for your selected contacts. Consider only exporting your personally enrolled unless you typically communicate with your whole downline. Not Sure how to run a VO CSV export? Learn Here.
Want to import data that isn't from VO or Oily Tools? No problem, use these templates. memberid column is required, but can be empty. Name in One Column | Name in Two Column
At a minimum a First Name and an Email OR Phone is required to create a contact
Cleanup Name Field
Consider opening the CSV in a spreadsheet editor and cleaning up the First Name Field. Our system can handle ALL CAPS, Last, First or First Last. We can't tell if a middle name should be there or not, so remove unnecessary middle names from the name field.
Future imports will sync data and NOT overwrite name or email fields
- Open the report in google sheets, excel or another spreadsheet editor like Open Office
- add a column anywhere in the spreadsheet called: contact_tag (all lowercase)
- go through your spreadsheet and fill in the column with one or more tags. For multiple enter them like: tag1,tag2,tag3
Run the Import
- From your Site Dashboard hover over CRM and then choose Import Contacts
- Select your import file which must be in CSV format and must contain a First Name and Email OR Phone for every contact.
- Importing can take a few minutes
Opting-In Email Contacts
- Email Contacts that are imported via CSV or are added via the quick-add contact form are required to opt-in to your list. We do this because it drastically improves deliverability of your future messages and reduces spam complaints. Contacts who want to receive email messages from you will opt-in.
- Contacts who signup themselves up via your public form don't have to complete the opt-in. Your public form can be found by going to your homepage, hovering on "contact" and choosing Email Signup. You can share this link on facebook, via messenger, text message etc
- Phone (SMS ) Contacts don't have to opt-in, but can opt-out. Also email contacts who sign themselves up via the public signup forms do not have to complete the opt-in. See the first section, and share your public link!
Pro-Tip: Send your invites at an optimal time of day (Tuesday-Thursday 10am-2pm)
Send Invites to all contacts who need one ( do this after importing via csv if you have new members)
- Go to your site dashboard click CRM ->Contacts
- Above your contact list click "send invitations"
- Select options and customize the message
Send Invites to select group of contacts
- Go to your contact list under CRM -> Contacts
- Click the Email Status drop down above the list and click on "not-invited" then "filter
- Click an individual contact and then click the "send invite" button on their popup. Or click the checkbox next to their name.
- If you've selected multiple, click the "bulk actions" drop down and then send invites
Enabling SMS (Text Messaging)
- Get a phone number and enable this feature by going under CRM -> Settings to the SMS section. Click to enable and receive your phone number. This phone number is unique to you.
- Once enabled SMS options will show under Autoseries and Single Message sending
- SMS contacts are not required to Opt-in, but they can unsubscribe
- Replies to your SMS will be shown under CRM -> Conversation view - you will be sent email / sms notifications. Update these settings under CRM -> Settings
- Contacts can subscribe by choosing SMS on your signup forms or by texting the word: Subscribe to your number
Sending Email / SMS Messages
- Start by going to your contact list by hovering on CRM and choosing Contacts
- To send to a single contact simply click on their name and choose the send buttons.
- To send to multiple click the "Create Message"
- On the next screen choose a Contact List ( Email for an Email, SMS for SMS, or the (Email or SMS) list for a priority sending mode with fallback
- Choose a Message Template or "Blank"
- The next screens will allow you to choose your message type.
Message Sending Options and Details
- Email: Emails are from one of our email addresses to improve deliverability, but the Name shows as your name, and the reply-to email is your address. All replies are automatically sent back to you.
- SMS ( Plain text or text with links ): Charged per message part, each part is 140 characters. To reduce costs keep your messages short
- MMS ( an SMS that contains one or more pictures ): an MMS costs more than an SMS (currently 3X the cost), but has a very high max character count. If your message is more than 420 characters, it will be cheaper to attach an image and send as MMS.
- Advanced Message: This is a special feature we've created to reduce costs and increase the potential for sms marketing. An Advanced message is designed in two parts - the basic text message and also the "web view". We automatically insert a custom link at the end of your text message so your recipients can view a personalized webpage with the web view portion of your message. To take full advantage of this feature, keep your SMS message short, and the main body in the webview. eg: " Hi Dan, I'm so excited to tell you about this months promotions, follow the link for more details".
- SMS Priority: This is available when you've selected an Advanced Message type.Of the contacts selected we will send SMS / MMS to contacts with a phone number, and an email to the rest. Email recipients will only receive the "web view" portion of the message as a standard email.
- Email Priority: This is available when you've chosen an Advanced Message. We will send the webview portion of the message as an email to anyone with a valid email, and an SMS with the a link to the webview portion of the message to anyone else.
You can choose a template when sending a message to get a head start on your email design. If you start from scratch click "add row" to get started. A typical email message might be the following: banner image, wide text, Column Image/ Text, Wide Text, Button
- Use "Merge Tags" if you're creating a bulk message to personalize name and more
- Avoid "salesey" language and these spam keywords
- Preview Your Message in the upper right hand corner
- Send Immediately, or schedule for later
Editing and Using Templates
If you have have a certain message that you'd like to save and send out later, a template could be perfect for you. Templates are used for single messages.
To use an already created template:
- Select an individual contact or multiple contacts as described above
- Click to Send the Message Choose an available Template or "blank" for an empty screen.
- Modify the message contents if you like
- Send or schedule the message
To create a new template or edit a previous template
- Under the CRM menu click "Templates"
- Click "Add New" or click on a previous template to modify it
- Create/ modify your message (make sure to use merge tags as described in video 3)
- Click "Publish" or "Update" in the upper right hand corner
- This template will now be available when sending new single or bulk messages
Autoseries (Drip Campaigns)
An Autoseries is a set of messages that once started will send out automatically on a schedule. Your site will come with pre-created autoseries that you can modify, or you can create your own.
Series differ by country, but in the USA we have a Series for the Curious, YL Business builder info, YL Product Tour, Going Inactive, Already Inactive.
Sending an Autoseries:
- Start by going to your contact list by hovering on CRM and choosing Contacts
- To send to a single contact simply click on their name and choose the send buttons.
- To send to multiple click the "Send Autoseries" button above the contact list
- On the next page choose a contact list ( Email for an Email or the (Email or SMS) list for a priority sending mode with fallback
- On the next screen Choose "Email" for an email only message, or choose "Advanced Messaging" for SMS. If you choose "Advanced Messaging", choose the SMS or SMS priority sending modes
- Advanced SMS messages consist of two parts. The actual SMS message, and the "web view" portion which is visible via an automatically included link. This allows you to include a lot of nicely laid out information but sent via text. Learn More about Advanced Messages, and Sending Priorities
- Preview, Schedule / Send
- Autoseries sending times are constrained to the schedule that is set under CRM-> Settings. This helps ensure that automated email and sms are not sent in the middle of the night
Creating and Editing Autoseries
Important Autoseries Concepts / Vocab
- To View Autoseries: hover on CRM and choose Autoseries. Click on a series then either view the messages in the editor or click "preview". The preview screen will show you all the message in the series
- Webview/ SMS section of a message Each message in the autoseries is designed with an Email/ Webview portion and an SMS portion of the message. When you go to send an Autoseries if you choose Email, your recipients will receive the email portion of the message. If you choose "Advanced Messaging" they will receive the SMS message with a link to view the Webview portion of the message. Learn More about Advanced Messaging
- Delay and Schedule: Each message has a delay. The first message should typically have a delay of 0 days so that it is sent immediately. Autoseries are subject to the schedule you have set under CRM -> Settings. By default weekends are excluded. When you send an autoseries it can also have the first message scheduled. For example you may want to schedule the first message for an optimal time like Tuesday at 10am. Your sites timezone is set under Settings -> General
- Public / Private: Public Autoseries will show to visitors to your site when viewing an email signup form. Private series are only available to send by you when logged into your site
- Sending: To send to a single contact, go to your contact list and click on their name, then choose send autoseries. To bulk send to a group of your contacts follow the instruction under the bulk send section - each contact can only receive an autoseries one time.
- Editing / Creating Autoseries: If you edit the built in autoseries they will no longer receive automatic updates, but you can request updates in the future if needed. To create an autoseries from scratch
Creating a New Autoseries
- Under CRM -> Autoseries click Add New
- Give your autoseries a title. Shorter is better, the series title will be shown publicly once your series is published
- Click Add Scheduled Task at the bottom for your first message
- Then click to edit the Message. When designing an autoseries keep in mind that it may be sent via email or as an advanced message. (you'll choose when sending the message). When sending an email only the Email portion is sent. However, our Advanced message options are a unique (and awesome ) feature. An Advanced message is designed in two parts - the basic text message sent via sms and also the "web view". A link to the webview is automatically included in any SMS message. Design your Email/ Webview to be a standard message... and design your sms message as a short introduction to the webview portion of the message. eg: "Hi Dan, I'm so excited to tell you about this months promotions, follow the link for more details".
- On the first message you'll typically set the message delay as 0 days. Subsequent messages can utilize whatever delay you want. It could be a weekly onboarding series, or a 6 month check in.
- Create additional messages as needed
- Use reminders to notify yourself. For example at the end of a series you could add a reminder
- Publish Publicly or privately.... public series will show on your public signup forms. Private series can only be sent by you
Create a landing page for your series (Estate Members)
- To send the series use the direction at the top of this section titled Sending Autoseries. If you published the series publically it will also be visible under your main menu under Contact -> Email Signup
- To create a landing page follow the directions for creating a custom page: https://support.oily.life/article/18-creating-blog-posts
- When you click "Add row" choose the email signup option. Choose your series you just created.
- Once the page is published you can direct people to this custom page to join your series
We track a variety of activity related to a contacts opens and clicks inside emails. There is less data available for interactions with SMS. You can view an individuals activity by clicking on their name in the contact list and then clicking on "recent activity".
You can view whole site level data by hover on CRM -> Reports and clicking on the Activity tab. From there you filter by many valuable pieces of data
- Reminders are built in to are pre-created AutoSeries drip campaigns. You'll receive a digest email with info on who as completed different campaigns.
- You can add a reminder about a specific contact by clicking on their name from the contact list and selecting "reminder"
- You can choose when your reminders are delivered (daily or weekly), by clicking on "Settings" under the CRM menu