Optimize your site for Social Media
- Adding Links to your Social Media Sites
- Fixing the Link Preview Image for your homepage
- Fixing the Link Preview Text for your homepage
- Fixing the Link Preview for you custom blog posts
Adding your Social Media Networks (Header and footer of site)
- From your dashboard hover over the word "appearance"
- Choose "Customize"
- Select "Social Media Networks"
- add your links and delete out any placeholder links.
- Publish your changes
- test your links by clicking the social media icons in the header or footer of your site
Change or fix link preview image for your home page
- On your home page and your other customizable pages, look for "featured image" on the right hand side bar.
- This isn't visible anywhere on our site, but when you share your home page to social media this photo will show up in the preview box.
- If you already have shared your site to Social Media, Facebook may not automatically update to correctly show your new "featured image". To manually tell facebook to get your new "featured image" use the open graph debugger.
Change link description for your home page
- The homepage description automatically pulls in your "Site description" and "Title".
- To update, go to your site dashboard
- Go to the Appearance menu, and choose "customize"
- On the next screen choose "Site identity"
- Once you've made changes you may have to manually tell facebook to "re-scrape" your link info by using the open graph debugger.
Here is the open graph debugger screen
Change or Fix Link Previews for your custom blog posts or custom pages
- On your blog post or custom page, look for "featured image" on the right hand side bar.
- The featured image will be used for the "post thumbnail" as well as the "link preview" image when sharing on social media.
- To update your link preview text add a post "excerpt" - scroll down to the bottom of the page and look for the "excerpt" box
- If you already have shared your site to Social Media, Facebook may not automatically update to correctly show your new "featured image" and excerpt text. To manually tell facebook to get your new "featured image" use the open graph debugger.
- Enter your link in the facebook debugger and click "Scrape Again"